Many of us that use Facebook lists regularly thought that our Facebook lists had completely disappeared and we were all screaming our discontent by commenting in groups, commenting on each others walls, and even sending tweets. Facebook had just made a change that we felt was an #epicFail. I mean how could Facebook make such a change without asking us first. The nerve of them; just who did they think they were. Our nice neat lists categories we had grouped our Facebook Friends in were no longer nicely listed on the left side of our Facebook profiles and it was totally freaking us out. After doing a little digging I figured out they weren’t actually gone… they’re still there… and Facebook has done some tweaking that you will either love or absolutely hate.
Where are my lists?
You can now access and edit your lists in two different places
- You can go to any one of your friends profile page and access your lists on the top right hand side of the page in a drop down menu. Now you won’t actually see who is on your list there but you can add your friend to a list here.
- You can now also access your lists on the left side panel of your home screen where it says lists. You can either click a particular list or you can click the word List and all your lists will come up for you to edit.
Whats new about the lists?
- Now you can view a feed of people within in a particular list. For instance if you click Family as I did in the image below you can see recent wall posts made by anyone set to the family list.
- I can edit what posts I see from my family by clicking manage lists. If I don’t want to see your silly game updates I can uncheck game updates and it will be removed from the List page posts. Click “Manage list” on the upper right corner of your list page wall > Choose Update types > then select or deselect the options you want to see on this list wall.
- I can view those in my list on the upper right side of the list page by clicking “see all” and I can even add more people to the list if I need to.
- It is now easier to create new lists. You simply click on Lists on the left side panel of your home page or http://www.facebook.com/bookmarks/lists follow this link. There you can click create new list at the top of your lists page to begin creating your new list.
Adding people to your lists can be done in two ways.
- The first is by going to >account >edit friends. You will see a list of friends with a clickable button that says friend next to each name. Click the word friend and determine which list you want to put them in or add new list criteria for that friend if you need to.
- Go to a particular list page http://www.facebook.com/bookmarks/listsand then choosing a list. After you have chosen a list go to the right side of the page and add friends to the list.
These new changes have had many of us who use Facebook as a main source of marketing were in an uproar. We talked about this all night long. I remember when I used to love a new changes to Facebook but now that we are all so involved, using Facebook everyday to update and engage our users, that when a change comes about that affects us like this one… we all cry the blues. I hope that these tips help you understand the changes to Facebook Lists. If you weren’t using lists before I hope that this blog will enlighten you on how you can now use them to your benefit.Aries – Graphic Design & Internet Marketing / AriesGDIM Tami Highbaugh-Abdullah Creative Marketing Director 317.345.4182 Tami@ariesgdim.com AriesGDIM.com / AriesGraphicDesign.com @ariesgdim – Twitter Google+ AriesGDIM
© 2011 – 2013, AriesGDIM / Tami Highbaugh-Abdullah. All rights reserved.